Saturday, February 6, 2010

My Background

Lately when I am creating something I have 'revenue' in mind...always searching for a way to bring a few more bucks into the family budget - but for nearly three weeks now I have taken a break and just allowed myself to make marks in my art journal creating backgrounds for future journaling.

I've had a lot to process these past 4+ years - first losing my precious parents, and a few weeks ago my life-long childhood friend/sister, Jan...and so I sought solace in playing in my journal.

I work in layers. I can layer from sunrise to sunset and then layer some more. I love discovering what is below the surface-- to feel as though I can see the history beneath the present. Building the layers, creating texture, laying strong foundation...a lot like life...

I have been working in this same journal for nearly 3 years now - with no rush to get it done and move on to another...often I think pages are done, only to find myself turning to them when hearing them call out for yet another layer...








*above: Additional images by Shepard Fairey*


5 comments:

Dieverdog said...

I just LOVE your work! You should stick with creating things you love - and others like me will love it, too. Very lovely! I will continue to follow your blog. You make me want to get back to journaling!

~jolene said...

Dieverdog, thank you so much for your kind words! If you get back to journaling I hope you will share with us ;-)

Also to Ellen (www.shesanartistshedontlookback.blogspot.com) and to Linda
(www.visualchronicles.typepad.com) - sorry your comments disappeared into the Blogger black hole of space -- your kind words and funny observations are ALWAYS appreciated!!

Anonymous said...

Wow those pictures blew me away!
I feel like working on my art journal now, thank you!

~jolene said...

Maria Isabel - you make me grin. I hope you did work in your art journal and I hope you will blog it!
Thanks for visiting :)

Stampmaiden said...

OH MAN! What beautiful earth tone shades. I notice you stick to similar colors. Very earthy. This is so lovely. Sorry it took me so long to post but I swear I didn't see your new posts appear! Lovely lovely Mija.
Linda